Brave security guard Gordon Park was on hand and immediately launched into action.
A Scots mum has told how a hero security guard saved her baby son from choking to death on a visit to a Scots shopping centre.
Pauline Lloyd was left ‘shaken’ as she watched her one-year-old Aled begin to choke as the pair had lunch at Costa in Glasgow’s Silverburn centre.
The 34-year-old engineer from Glasgow went into ‘panic mode’ as the tot struggled for breath as other shoppers watched on.
But brave security guard Gordon Park was on hand and immediately launched into action on the February 16 incident.
Gordon took the tot and gave firm slaps to the back which dislodged a ball of mucous as they awaited on an ambulance.
Aled was taken to hospital and found to be fine- with paramedics praising Gordon’s quick thinking.
Pauline told the Record of the harrowing incident.
She said: “We were there just having a bit of lunch when he started choking.
“I was trying to calm him and patting him on the back. I was shaking by this point and didn’t know what to do.
“The first aiders arrived and organised an ambulance and one took the baby and just performed the right moves and a big ball of mucous came out.
“Aled was very upset and took a while to calm down but he was ok which is the important thing.
“I’m so grateful to Gordon and everyone who helped. It just shows how important this training is.”
She added that the experience was ‘absolutely horrible’.
She said: “You just don’t know what to do with all those eyes on you.
“I just went into panic mode, you think you will know just what to do in these situations but I was just shaken.
“It was absolutely horrible.
“It is honestly so good the first aiders were there and were good at their job.
“They don’t have to deal with choking babies much the paramedics said so it is amazing the training they had.
“It could have been so much worse.
“In some ways I’m glad I was in the Silverburn because I don’t know what would have happened at home.”
In recognition of his heroism, Gordon has been awarded a Royal Humane Society Resuscitation Certificate for saving the baby’s life and has also won the personal praise of Andrew Chapman, Secretary of the Royal Humane Society.
As he announced the award he said: “In incidents like this there is no time to wait for paramedics to arrive. Time is of the essence. Every second counts.
“Mr Park didn’t hesitate and after persuading the mother to hand the baby to him he succeeded in clearing the baby’s throat by slapping it on the back.
“He did a wonderful job and what could otherwise have ended with a dreadful tragedy ended happily. He richly deserves the award he is to receive.”
For the original article see here.
At Frontline Security all of our Security Officers are fully screened and vetted to make sure we only have the best trained security employed by our company. Frontline Security take pride in the safety of individuals in which our staff are trained to oversee obstacles that may arise on the job. Contact us today to find out more.